Now, I’m not stepping on the parade of the team at Council here. I love that mob. But here’s some background for you!
About Empty Spaces
Empty Spaces Project at the University of Technology, Sydney, promotes the short-term, low cost ‘meanwhile’ use of empty sites for creative and community development. Here you’ll find: tools to help you start-up an empty space project; stories on what others have done; tips on looking for a space; and information for landlords and local government to get engaged.
- A guide to Getting Started by Renew Newcastle founder, Marcus Westbury.
- A guide to Planning and Resourcing your project and Connecting with Landlords
- Information on working with NSW planning systems from the NSW Department of Planning
- Legal information and templates by the Arts Law Centre of Australia
- Case studies about meanwhile initiatives in Australia including Renew Newcastle, Create, Innovate Gosford City, Pop Up Parramatta, Creative Spaces, Sydney, Anyplace Projects, FrasersStudio, Renew Adelaide and Art in the Heart Lismore
- In-depth information on international initiatives including Capacity Bristol, San Francisco’s Art in Storefronts and Chicago’s Pop Up Art Loop
- Advice from artists Dawn Allen and Angela van Boxtel on Setting up a pop up gallery and Upcycling Space
- Reflections on ten years of recycling empty shops by Dan Thompson from the UK’s Empty Shops Network
- News on meanwhile projects
- Culturemap online community where you can register and post news
Keep up to date with all the latest news from this site by following Empty Spaces on FACEBOOK. https://www.facebook.com/emptyspacesproject
This site has heaps more projects – just in case you are envious and want to play – but aren’t in Cairns!